Wednesday, August 18, 2010

McCalls 6109




Pattern Description: Above, mid-knee length sleeveless dresses A, B, C with midriff and pocket variations dresses A, C have contrast pockets; dress A has contrast midriff.

Pattern Sizing: 4 - 20 available. I sewed a 6.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It didn't because I made a lot of modifications.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes very easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This was my second time making this dress - the first time I made it, I thought that I had chosen too heavy of a knit, resulting in the weight of the skirt (lots of gathering) pulling down the top of the dress. I tried it again in a lighter weight knit and I had the same problem. So, I got rid of a lot of the gathers and made the skirt a bit more slimming. That did the trick - it no longer pulled the waistband and top south.

Fabric Used: A knit by Anna Sui that I found at Exquisite Fabrics in Georgetown DC.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: In addition to slimming down the skirt, I raised the bottom of the underarm, which was cut very low.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I loved sewing this and am super happy with the outcome. I would definitely recommend it to others. I've done it twice so I'll take a breather for now.

Conclusion: The neck is not low cut but you have to be very careful when leaning forward, the cowl neck can be very revealing at some angles. I enjoyed making this dress a lot and it is super comfy to wear. Oh, I would have made the waist band a different color to make it stand out if I were to sew it again.

1 comment:

  1. Yhe dress looks great on you and thanks for the review. I plan on cutting the pattern today.

    ReplyDelete